Transition Information, Useful Documents & Contacts
At Workington Academy, we understand that making the transition from primary to secondary school is an exciting time for both you and your child. We have a great deal of experience in helping young people join our academy and work hard to make sure that the process runs as smoothly as possible, taking any stress out of this change for all involved.
Be assured that your child’s future is in good hands at Workington Academy – with our broad and balanced curriculum challenging and engaging all abilities, a high level of dedicated pastoral support designed to nurture your child every step of the way and an exciting range of extra-curricular activities and opportunities intended to give your child a wide range of valuable experiences in and out of the classroom.
We believe that the key to immediate success at secondary school is having a positive and supportive transition. Therefore, our extensive transition programme for all students and parents joining Workington Academy will support everyone in the move up from primary to secondary school, to get their journey towards excellence off to a flying start!
Our transition programme includes;
- Visits to your primary school from key staff members and current students
- The sharing of key information between primary schools and Workington Academy
- Distribution of key information packs including everything that you need to know about starting at Workington Academy
- Opportunities to visit Workington Academy for students and parents
- Information Evenings at Workington Academy for students and parents
- Meet the Tutor Days for students and parents
- Transition Days – for students to spend time with their new form group and form tutor
- Other joint events between primary schools and Workington Academy
We also offer bespoke and extended transition programmes for students who require further support in making the step from primary to secondary school.
A ‘Team Approach’ is at the heart of everything that we do at Workington Academy and we strongly believe that by working in collaboration with students, parents and primary school staff, we can ensure that any anxiety, concerns or difficulties around the transition to secondary school can be minimised.
Miss Nicola Tweddle – Director of Learning – Year 7
Our Transition Programme is overseen by Miss Tweddle, Director of Learning –Year 7 – who will oversee your transition from primary school to Workington Academy. Miss Tweddle will liaise closely with parents, students and primary school staff to ensure that you get off to the best possible start at Workington Academy.
Once at Workington Academy, Miss Tweddle will oversee your pastoral care, academic progress and development in a range of areas and will ensure that you have every opportunity in and out of lessons to achieve your academic and personal potential.
Mrs Lesley Robertson – Student Provision Officer – Year 7
Mrs Robertson, Student Provision Officer – Year 7, is responsible for supporting Miss Tweddle and helping to oversee your pastoral care at Workington Academy and will deal with any emotional or social concerns that you may have, as well as overseeing your attendance, behaviour and well-being. Mrs Robertson is always on hand to discuss any concerns or worries that students or parents may have and will do everything possible to ensure that your time at Workington Academy is happy and enjoyable!
Together, Miss Tweddle and Mrs Robertson lead a dedicated and experienced team of Year 7 Tutors who will support both students and parents to ensure that you have every opportunity to become the best that you can be!
You will have the opportunity to meet with and spend the day with your new Tutor, as well as Miss Tweddle and Mrs Robertson before starting at Workington Academy in September 2018.
OTHER KEY TRANSITION STAFF MEMBERS:
- Mrs Jos Cole – SENCO– will ensure that any necessary support and provision for children with additional SEND or PHYS-MED needs are in place prior to starting at Workington Academy and will work closely with students and parents to make sure that appropriate provision is sustained throughout their time at Workington Academy.
- Ms Vera Agnew and Ms Jan Wilson – Learning Provision Assistants– run our extended transition programme for students who would benefit from spending more time with us before joining in September 2020. Once at Workington Academy, Ms Agnew and Ms Wilson are always on hand to assist any Year 7 students who need any additional support or reassurance!
Important Information Documents for Transition and Transfer to Workington Academy for new Year 7 Students:
Useful documents regarding Free School Meals, Uniform Grants and School Transport
Link to Online Application for Free School Meals and Clothing Vouchers – https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/childrensservices/schoolsandlearning/freeschoolmeals.asp
Link to Online Application for School Transport for your child https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/childrensservices/schoolsandlearning/schooltransport.asp
If we can be of any further assistance with the completion of any of these forms, please do not hesitate to contact Miss Tweddle – Director of Learning, Primary Liaison & Transition – email@example.com